Monday, October 29, 2007

Legend has it...

So there is one Monday night I will not be able to attend Art class. Guess what? That's the night I am scheduled to give a presentation on part of a chapter! Ack! I'll be in Nashville attending a concert (Tori Amos) I bought tickets for...MONTHS ago!

This is the part where I get to try out my mad "oral communication" skills! The professor is cool and so I'll be presenting the Baroque Art section NEXT Monday (1 week before it's due)...so even if it is Baroque, I can fix it! *insert laughter*

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'll be here all week...

Another Reason I love October:

28/29) Legends. Spooky legends, actually. In 1820, Washington Irving published a collection of short stories entitled The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon. That title might mean nothing now, but you don't have to look very far to find one of our most chilling stories lurking inside: "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow."

I was first introduced to Ichabod Crane and "Brom Bones" as a child, through a Disney short narrated by Bing Crosby. I can't tell you how many years I watched it at various Halloween parties. The sound of the Headless Horseman's hooves clapping across the covered bridge still makes me shiver.

Most people are familiar with Sleepy Hollow (1999) directed by Tim Burton and starring Johnny Depp and Christina Ricci. I saw it in the theater and rented it from Netflix last Halloween. If you get a chance to watch "The Making Of..." included on the DVD, I highly recommend it. I was completely blown away!

I did some research and yes, there is a Sleepy Hollow in New York--it officially changed it's name from Tarrytown not too long ago. There are several famous people buried in the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, including the author, Mr. Washington Irving.

Locally, the Bell Witch has always interested me. I even went on a little trip to Adams, Tennessee, not too long after moving to the state. I was a freshmen in high school and now after everything I have read--I don't plan on making a return visit!

Spooooooooooky!

~~J

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin