Saturday, March 22, 2008

Basic Bracket Mathematics:

Essentially I am showing you THIS little snippet from my bracket because all the other little snippets are pretty embarrassing.

Sienna? San Diego?

Okay, I don't know TOO many people who had that right (unless you attend those schools or like the number 13).

But I went with a "feeling" on a couple and basically picked the "wrong" upsets. (But I got K-State right!)

Oh well.

I guess officially I can say my Math homework will be easier to figure out than the NCAA Brackets (which I actually KNOW something about as opposed to the Math).

Observe: Decimal notation is the writing of numbers in the base-ten numeral system, which uses various symbols (called digits) for no more than ten distinct values (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9) to represent any numbers, no matter how large.

We do this EVERY day. It might sound scary to read, but you know HOW to handle it, I promise. 75= 7x10 + 5

Now we're converting from different bases and using a lot of paper to figure out problems. It took several sheets to be able to say:

342 converted to base 3 is 110,200(3)
323 to base 5 is 2,243(5)
243 to base 6 is 1,043(6)

(I don't know the point to this either, so don't ask me what I can do with this information aside from passing the appropriate exam!)

Somehow the Brackets are a lot more FUN (even though I've only "guessed" 62% of the games correctly and everyone knows that a D is completely unacceptable)!

~~J

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin