Saturday, September 29, 2007

Xylem & Phloem, Oh My!

Never in a million years would I have thought plants would encompass so many different cycles and parts! I mean, I remember the basics from high school but this is the basics + 10. Or maybe the basics + 5 because the basics + 10 would be Botany.

After the great (first) Bio II exam of last week and my subsequent "bombing" of this exam (officially I don't know my grade yet, but I can tell you--it stinks to high heaven) I am going to have to eat, breathe and sleep PLANTS!

Even their 'sex lives' are rather complex. Yes, their SEX LIVES! They might not listen to Marvin Gaye like the rest of us, but they are quite interesting in their own right!

So you, my fair reader (both of you) get to endure my new found obsession/respect for our green little friends (not the aliens):

Four Major Changes:
1)protection of a multi cellular embryo
2)evolution of vascular tissue
3)evolution of the seed
4)evolution of the flower

=

Four Major Groups:
1)Non vascular
2)Seedless Vascular
3)Gymnosperms/Vascular Seed bearing
4)Angiosperms Vascular Seed & Flower bearing


And we'll leave it at that for tonight.

~~J

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janet, I love your blog, but it makes my head hurt.

The secret lives of plants ... who knew? ;)

janet said...

K!

I'm glad I can give you a headache...ha ha ha!

It seems as if I always have one! Now it all makes sense!

~~J

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin