Saturday, June 16, 2007

Saturday Night #3

Oh my!

So my professor mentioned on Friday (as we finished another chapter) that this is THE section. THE section of three chapters that she had to put closer to the end of the "semester" because when it was near the beginning she would lose a lot of students after this exam. No kidding! This stuff is absolutely mind-blowing...we did NOT go through all these chemical reactions and steps in high school!

Even though this is just a Biology class for NON-SCIENCE majors, I am a bit worried right now! English/literature is my professed forte, not this stuff (although it's pretty darn interesting). Thank goodness I did well on my first two exams because that could save me now. *whew*

6 CO2+ 12 H2O+ photons → C6 H12 O6+ 6 O2+ 6 H2O
carbon dioxide + water + light energy → glucose + oxygen + water

What? (Photosynthesis)

Also on Friday we took our Lab mid-term. It actually took longer for me than one of the "regular" lecture exams. I even felt my brain quiver as I labeled seemingly about 457 parts of a single cell (didn't know there was that many, didja?)...I did relatively well, even though I missed a simple subtraction question right after getting every single nana/micro/mili/centi conversion problem correct. ACK!

With all the cellular talk this month, I have found myself lying awake at night imaging all these processes occurring...when you THINK you can feel your liver cells moving about, it's probably time to STOP thinking!

I've found some time to start reading the latest from one of my favorite authors, Laura Zigman. Piece of Work was released near the end of last year, but I did not actually SEE it anywhere until my stop at Davis-Kidd earlier in the week. Laura and I have actually become virtual "new friends" (seriously, HER WORDS, go check her "brant" asap!) PLUS she has been a great boost to my whole "going back to school to pursue the degree I've always wanted" thing. I am liking the book and just like anything else by her, I totally recommend it!


~~J

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin