Monday, August 17, 2009

Soundtracks:

Since the beginning of time of (not silent) cinema, there have been scores...soundtracks...songs either written specifically for the film or just used in the film to garner a desired effect from the movie-watcher.

Somehow the good ones (scores, soundtracks, songs) become ingrained in our psyche.

I hummed the Jaws theme as a child in the pool while playing "sharks." I have to strut like John Travolta when the Bee Gees come on the radio. Sometimes I want to twirl on mountain tops like Julie Andrews, just because.

There have been a few "modern" soundtracks that completely move me--which is why I started writing this entry in the first place. To talk about them, especially since I saw a movie last night and promptly bought the soundtrack today.

Several movies have a great song or two, but these entire albums are fantastical!

My favorite "modern" soundtracks:
Romeo + Juliet (1996 was a good year!)
Garden State (bought the day after seeing the film)
The Last Kiss (see above)
500 Days of Summer (see above)

It's hard to pick just ONE song off of either of these to highlight or mention, but I am going to do it...okay, I am going to pick FIVE songs off of each of these...which means you need to find these five songs ASAP!

R+J: #1 Crush - Garbage, Local God - Everclear, To You I Bestow - Mundy, Lovefool - The Cardigans, You and Me Song - The Wannadies

GS: Let Go - Frou Frou, Fair - Remy Zero, Such Great Heights - Love & Wine, Caring is Creepy - The Shins, Don't Panic - Coldplay

tLS: Chocolate - Snow Patrol, Star Mile - Joshua Radin, Ride - Cary Brothers, Hide and Seek - Imogen Heap, Prophecy - Remy Zero

500: Here Comes Your Man- Meaghan Smith, Us - Regina Spektor, Hero - Regina Spektor, Bookends - Simon & Garfunkel, You Make My Dreams - Hall & Oates

~~J

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin