Saturday, January 26, 2008

Sets & Abstract Relationships:


A is a subset of B.

But really, it looks more like A C B to my mind...maybe to yours as well?

So begins all the new little symbols I have to learn in my Foundations of Mathematics class. It truly is like learning a new language, although I don't get to go on a fancy trip to "Math Land" and attempt to use { }, ⊂, and correctly for another two weeks (our first exam).

I'll always have to put these things into terms I understand!

{Memphis > Gonzaga} or Memphis is Greater than Gonzaga and should win the game this morning.

&

They are both part of the same set (basketball teams) so I guess I could actually say that Memphis Gonzaga.

*whew*

I almost forgot to mention that my textbook arrived 3 hours before class on Tuesday! I decided to race home between Work & History and saw it jammed in the mailbox. How is that for perfect timing?

Also, Preston was born Monday morning. He is the first child of one of my friends--and her family are big U of M supporters. Don't worry, it's not lost on me that Monday the Tigers were ranked NUMBER 1 (for the first time in a long time) in a couple national basketball polls.

So goes Preston, so goes the Tigers.

And Preston is doing JUST FINE!

~~J

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin