Sunday, October 25, 2009

Top 100 Books (4)

Lev Grossman & Richard Lacayo (critics for TIME magazine) picked the "100 best English-language novels since 1923" some time ago ...

I was directed to their list recently and have posted it as a four-part series.

These 35 novels round it off:

O - R
On the RoadJack Kerouac (I have a copy waiting)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's NestKen Kesey

The Painted BirdJerzy Kosinski
Pale FireVladimir Nabokov
A Passage to IndiaE.M. Forster
Play It As It LaysJoan Didion
Portnoy's ComplaintPhilip Roth
PossessionA.S. Byatt
The Power and the GloryGraham Greene
The Prime of Miss Jean BrodieMuriel Spark

Rabbit, RunJohn Updike (I guess I need to get one it)
RagtimeE.L. Doctorow
The RecognitionsWilliam Gaddis
Red HarvestDashiell Hammett
Revolutionary RoadRichard Yates (Oh the movie did me in!)

S - T
The Sheltering SkyPaul Bowles
Slaughterhouse-FiveKurt Vonnegut
CrashNeal Stephenson
The Sot-Weed FactorJohn Barth
The Sound and the FuryWilliam Faulkner (I have a copy to read one day)
The SportswriterRichard Ford
The Spy Who Came in From the ColdJohn le Carre
**The Sun Also RisesErnest Hemingway (Yes. I know.)
**Their Eyes Were Watching GodZora Neale Hurston (for Cultural Anthropology)
**Things Fall ApartChinua Achebe (for Literary Heritage)
**To Kill a MockingbirdHarper Lee (LOVE!)
To the LighthouseVirginia Woolf (Must find!)
Tropic of CancerHenry Miller

U - W
UbikPhilip K. Dick
Under the NetIris Murdoch
Under the VolcanoMalcolm Lowry
WatchmenAlan Moore & Dave Gibbons
White NoiseDon DeLillo
White TeethZadie Smith
Wide Sargasso SeaJean Rhys (HEY! I have a copy--mentioned this in the summer)

Obviously I have a lot of reading to do after the semester is over. AFTER the semester is over (did you catch that part)!

~~J

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are loads of these I haven't read as well. We should pick some to tackle together.

AFTER the semester is over, of course.

Word verification: ureel.
"Guuuurk, what you talkin' bout? ureel?!"

janet said...

Good. You can teach me the parts I don't understand.

:)

~~J

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin