Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Top 100 Books (3):

Lev Grossman & Richard Lacayo (critics for TIME magazine) picked the "100 best English-language novels since 1923" some time ago ... I was directed to their list recently.

You can find A-B AND C-G already blogged about...like justa couple days ago.

H - I
A Handful of DustEvelyn Waugh
The Heart Is A Lonely HunterCarson McCullers
The Heart of the MatterGraham Greene
HerzogSaul Bellow
HousekeepingMarilynne Robinson
A House for Mr. BiswasV.S. Naipaul

I, ClaudiusRobert Graves
Infinite JestDavid Foster Wallace
Invisible ManRalph Ellison

L - N
Light in AugustWilliam Faulkner (one day, I promise)
*The Lion, The Witch and the WardrobeC.S. Lewis (in some form, yes)
LolitaVladimir Nabokov (so ready to read this!)
**Lord of the FliesWilliam Golding (in high school)
The Lord of the RingsJ.R.R. Tolkien
LovingHenry Green
Lucky JimKingsley Amis

The Man Who Loved ChildrenChristina Stead
Midnight's ChildrenSalman Rushdie
MoneyMartin Amis
The MoviegoerWalker Percy
*Mrs. DallowayVirginia Woolf (half-way read)

Naked LunchWilliam Burroughs
*Native SonRichard Wright (I skimmed it in 11th grade)
NeuromancerWilliam Gibson
Never Let Me GoKazuo Ishiguro
**1984George Orwell (blaaaah!)

I am truly pathetic--right?

I can say that I've heard about (in casual or academic conversations) several of these works and or authors. I have been focusing on the Short Story format lately (excuses, excuses).

~~J

p.s. Lists to make myself feel "dumb"...fantastical!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin