Saturday, June 20, 2009

Tender is the Night:

It has been practically one month to the day in which I finished my favorite book of the summer (thus far). And technically it isn't even "summer" until tomorrow--so maybe I should rethink this entire first paragraph?

(it's my favorite book, read since classes ended and summer officially began)*

Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald is still indirectly influencing me--I can feel it.

Silently she admired him....
he was already possessed.

Have you read anything I've written lately? (No) Well, the themes are similar--even the "language" has been called "similar"--and that's really a compliment because I think the writing of F. Scott is absolutely beautiful.

Indirectly I've been writing parallels, and it's about to get very direct (soon enough).

Rosemary dozed for three hours and then lay awake, suspended in the moonshine. Cloaked by the erotic darkness she exhausted the future quickly, with all the eventualities that might lead up to a kiss, but with the kiss itself as blurred as a kiss in pictures.

They say the novel is semi-autobiographical, written concerning specific people and events. F. Scott started writing it almost as soon as The Great Gatsby was published (which I still haven't read--but may start tonight).

According to a great source (Wikipedia) by 1932, F. Scott had finally decided what to write his novel about—"a man of almost limitless potential who makes the fatal decision to marry a beautiful but mentally ill woman, and who ultimately sinks into despair and alcoholism when their doomed marriage fails."

I'm not quite sure what I am blabbering about now. Oh yeah, I LOVE THIS BOOK! You can actually read the entire text online: HERE!

Already with thee! tender is the night,
And haply the Queen-Moon is on her throne,
Cluster'd around by all her starry Fays;
But here there is no light,
Save what from heaven is with the breezes blown
Through verdurous glooms and winding mossy ways.

--from "Ode to a Nightingale" by John Keats

~~J

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin