Saturday, November 15, 2008

To Answer the Question:

Thanks for asking, Stephanie!

(according to Merriam-Webster)

Muse
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin Musa, from Greek Mousa
Date: 14th century

capitalized : any of the nine sister goddesses in Greek mythology presiding over song and poetry and the arts and sciences
2: a source of inspiration ; especially : a guiding genius

(this is John Waterhouse's rendition of Lamia, 1905)

Which means a lot to me, because it represents the way I feel. My current Muse looks like this knight (and I feel like the woman depicted--essentially because the "Art" has be on my knees...I can't stop thinking about it).

Dark hair + Broad shoulders + Light eyes = Handsome (Muse)

Now does he know that he is indeed my Muse? I think he may have an idea, maybe (he's no dummy). He [or should I say, his character] is partially responsible for my current explosion of creative writing.

How creative is it, really? I don't know--but it's taking up A LOT OF TIME!

I have a fully-fleshed female character who has quite a crush on a certain male character (originally created by, my Muse--he gave me permission to use or borrow him).

This creative writing/fiction writing/short story collection building has taken away from my OTHER home/class work though. So that's NOT good--but on the other hand I haven't felt this way about "Fiction" writing, EVER!

I was scared to death of this class--now I can't wait to start the Workshopping series of classes!

Now the friendship (Muse-ship) has essentially become the introduction to the series of closely related short stories. I'm moving beyond what is required for the actual class and into the "hey! I'm going to try to get this published realm"...We'll see what happens.

~~J

P.S. and lest we not forget all the other Muses I have been surrounded by lately either. My "sister goddesses" are very relevant as well. It's my "creative" period. Just like Picasso's Blue Period--but mine is shaded more in the Red family.

P.P.S. And my Muse is NOT an English major aka I won't have a class with him ever again. So should I start taking applications for my next Muse-ship? How does that all work anyway? (I assume it to be a very rare state of being)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

YAY! Lets go downtown and find a new muse over Christmas break!!!! :-) tee-hee!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin