Monday, March 29, 2010

Day Two:

(or The Devil went down to Georgia)















After a good night in a comfortable hotel room and my belly full of hotel breakfast/coffee I ventured forth to historic Milledgeville...

"Bathed in an intoxicating mixture of magnolia and moonlight, her classic beauty is unsurpassed."

"Cloaked in mystery and intrigue, her appeal is universal and her attraction undeniable."

"Like a true southern belle, she perfectly charms treasured guests with fascinating tales, southern delicacies, and gracious hospitality. "

Am I talking about myself? Or perhaps the Devil?

Nope, just the town. (According to the website--and well, I happen to agree.)

It was easy to navigate, being the center of town is laid out in squares (similar to D.C. or Savannah)--the antebellum homes were gorgeous, shops were charming, and the people were nice.

Super nice. It was as if I had walked onto a movie set depicting a polite, beautiful southern town.

I started exploring downtown about two hours BEFORE my scheduled appointment. I wanted to know WHERE to go and get a good feel (experience the "vibe")--figure out where to park, etc etc.

So I visited Memory Hill, the final resting place of Flannery O'Connor. Strangely enough, I was there on what would've been her 85th birthday. That's gotta mean something...

Then I walked around the "squares," parking next to the Old Governor's Mansion--I visited the gift shop and took pictures of stately homes (seeing a few other people doing the same thing made me feel less awkward).

About fifteen minutes before my appointment, I was on campus (it was Spring Break) and walking toward the Arts & Sciences building. Everything felt laid back--calm, cool...*insert more adjectives here)...

I had my meeting (and was introduced to two more important people)--heard more about the MFA program, the typical course of study, saw the office/kitchen...it was all very interesting and exciting.

Afterwards I shuffled around campus some more--before stopping at a Mediterranean restaurant for a late lunch....

Cross your fingers and hope that the stars align (aka Funding comes through).

~~J

4 comments:

Allison said...

haha I didn't even THINK about the devil went down to GA - how appropriate!

janet said...

Whatchoo sayin'?

~~J

Allison said...

Ohhhh nurthin...

janet said...

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste.

I've been around for a long, long year--stole many a man's soul and faith.


;)

~~J

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin