Saturday, April 12, 2008

So you're an English Major?


People are generally pretty excited when I tell them I am back in college.

Immediately I am asked, "What's your major?" And with sparkling eyes I get to reply, "English!"

Now imagine the blank stare right about here.

So I throw in mention of the Journalism minor to make them feel better.

I think some people are surprised because I've been working in the field of Pharmacy for 13 years now. They assume I am going to school to be a Pharmacist. I completely understand. But the correct answer is "No, I am not in Pharmacy School."

READ: A bachelor's degree in English provides you with skills for a variety of positions in business, government, research, education, publishing, as well as in the cultural, entertainment, and communications industries.

English as a major is versatile and helps you develop skills useful in many career fields. Your major is only one of many variables to be considered when developing career plans. Many careers do not require a specific major, but rather a wide range of demonstrated skills and accomplishments. Effective career decision making is based on a thorough assessment of your skills, interests, values, and experiences

This is all very good to know and remember.

So what am I interested in? That's a very difficult question because I really LOVE a lot of different things. I could see myself as a Cultural Critic. Specifically in the area of Film, Food, Music, Literature, Politics and Art.

A Features Writer for a Newspaper or Magazine, perhaps?
Editorial Assistant? Lobbyist? Copy Writer? Fact Checker?
Poet? Writer (short stories, essays, etc.)? Freelance?

I have ideas. There are opportunities. Of course none of them include making $$$ after graduation (like a pharmacist) and that's perfectly fine with me.

~~J

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin