Thursday, August 12, 2010

Piecing It Together

One of the final stages of knitting is called Blocking.

This is when you adjust the shape of the finished piece and there are several different ways of doing so.

Either way, it increases the flexibility of the sweater or sock, making it durable and comfortable to wear.

I can't tell you much more, because I have never blocked a piece of my work. (You can click on the link above to learn more)

Not everything in knitting needs to be blocked though. Since my skill level has yet to advance past "scarf," I've really never had the need to "finish."

This afternoon I spent time printing out "blank" weekly templates. Promptly I began blocking in my class schedule so I'd have a visual of my time...

Available coupled with unavailable time.

Either way, I'm not staring at nine hour stretches of pharmacy time and it's exciting in an itchy skin kind of way.

Alongside filling in blocks, this week I've gained access to buildings and offices. It feels a bit powerful to have official "State of Georgia Do Not Duplicate" keys jangling in my pocket.

A personal photocopy code is also in my possession. Who knew?

We have a couple more orientation days remaining and I'm feeling strangely confident or ready to go...but timid and frightened as well. It's hard to explain.

Being surrounded by individuals in the same position is comforting though. It makes this part of my life feel less itchy, but more easy to wear.

~~J

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin