Monday, January 5, 2009

Textbooks? Really?

So I have a lot of "used but very good" copies (and some new ones) on their way to my house.

Yes, I am one of "those" students who finds out what the required book list is for classes BEFORE the first week of class. I track down the most "affordable" copies and have them delivered too.

  • A Poetry Handbook - Mary Oliver
  • Winesburg, Ohio - Sherwood Anderson
  • The Violent Bear It Away: A Novel - Flannery O'Connor
  • Creative Editing - Dorothy A. Bowles
  • The O. Henry Prize Stories 2008
  • Beloved - Toni Morrison
  • The Gold-Bug and Other Tales - Edgar Allan Poe
  • Young Goodman Brown and Other Short Stories - Nathaniel Hawthorne
  • Media Writer's Handbook: Guide to Common Writing/Editing Problems - George Arnold
  • One Writer's Beginnings - Eudora Welty
  • Wieland and Memoirs of Carwin the Biloquist - Charles Brockden Brown
  • The Triggering Town: Lectures & Essays on Poetry &Writing - Richard Hugo
And as if that wasn't enough: The Norton Anthology of English Literature:
  • Volume D: The Romantic Period
  • Volume E: The Victorian Age
  • Volume F: Twentieth Century and After

Now that you have read thoroughly (skipped) this list, realize that I am actually looking forward to about 95% of these books. Yes. I said 95% (and just in case you're my professor, your book list is one of my "looking forward to").

No more $150-$200 science or math manuals (which I'll do absolutely nothing with after passing the class)...but these little gems...they are going in my LIBRARY (the one I'll have when I "grow up").

~~J

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Poetry books are for the weak souls that can't handle guts and gore!!! lol j/k

janet said...

I definitely am NOT a guts and gore kinda gal! I'll leave that TO YOU! :o)

~~J

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin