Monday, January 19, 2009

Deliberation:

And so the Jurors in the Ashley Scott Trial have been "handed" the case...

Deliberation:

It's not as easy as you may think. First things first, you chose a foreperson. Then you decide HOW exactly you are going to wade through all of the evidence & your notes in a relatively civilized manner.

And (something you may not realize), this is the first time the Jurors are able to discuss the case. They haven't been back there after testimony talking about things. They have had to keep it all in and just let it stew in their brains.

It can get emotional. It got emotional in our case.

There are moments during our Deliberation I remember clearly--there are also moments I do not. I even wrote a short story based on my experience. There is a lot to take in & let out.

I remember the Jury room getting hotter by the second. I remember the walls seemingly closing in. I remember the clock on the wall. I remember locking myself in the bathroom briefly so I can have "alone" time and cry.

We became mini-legal experts. I can tell you the differences between first and second degree murder almost verbatim. We read, reread and read the charges again.

Just as in life, some people want to talk. Some people don't want to talk. Some want to look at evidence. Some want to discuss little details they remember or wrote down.

Imagine twelve strangers with different backgrounds and ideas coming together to solve a "crime" or "case," coming to the SAME verdict. It's not an easy task. But it can be done.

The Jury has spent the last 6.5 days obeying the schedule of the court. It is literally their time now.

~~J

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin