Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Bible of the Newspaper Industry:

(no really, that’s actually what it says on the front cover)

aka The Associated Press Stylebook, is quite an exciting read. I had a spiral bound copy about 11 years ago (status: missing) and since it is required for at least one class this fall semester, I got another copy as part of my birthday textbook extravaganza.

It’s a fully revised and updated copy of the AP’s rules on grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization, abbreviation and word and numeral usage.

(that's what it says on the back cover)

Things I have Learned Today:
3-D is preferred over three-D
use till or until but NOT 'til
gale force winds are from 39-54 mph
do NOT capitalize primary (Democratic primary)
Novocain is a trademark
it's Down Syndrome (not Down's)
faze means to embarrass or disturb
hurly-burly is hyphenated
i.e. is the abbreviation for id est (should always be followed by a comma)

See how awesome this book is?? (I realize YOU might not find this stuff interesting, but I definitely do)

Newspaper Geeks UNITE aka (no spacing is correct) Journalists!

~~J

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin