Monday, January 24, 2011

Continuum:

[from Latin, neuter of continuus continuous] a continuous series or whole, no part of which is perceptibly different from the adjacent parts
--(according to Collins English dictionary)


Being on campus this semester feels a whole lot different than being on campus last semester. And I guess this "realization" makes sense (especially if you stop to think about it)--I'm taking different classes, I have a different schedule.

For example, instead of working in the Writing Center in the mornings (opening it, if you will) I am working in the afternoons (closing it).

My classes are only "at night" (during the evening slot)...which starts at 5:30 pm. This is the same time slot for evening classes at the University of Memphis, so I am "used" to it. In fact, I really like it. My classmates with afternoon classes like to say that I'm "in night school." True, true.

I remember a former instructor (also an MFA student at the time) complaining the morning class he was teaching (and I was in). He said, "Don't they know writers stay up all night?" Cue the laughter from the class. But this seems to be very true to life. Morning classes should be reserved for....journalism students. They have to get up early to chase the news!

(He also liked to drink tea, I have become a heavy tea drinker--the stronger the better. Coincidence?)

In actuality, the morning time should be reserved for writing, or the night time should be (depending on when you begin functioning). For example, Flannery O'Connor wrote every morning. It was part of her writing schedule. And as I mentioned (danced around the topic) in a previous post, we should all have one.

Everything is different, yet everything is the same. And I have more reading to complete.

~~J

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin