Monday, July 4, 2011

Summertime Obsession

(other than the Casey Anthony trial)


A couple days before leaving Milledgeville for the Summer, I was clicking around late one night and happened upon a show on the Travel channel: Ghost Adventures.

Because it was so late and I was alone in my apartment, I should've known better--but I watched episode after episode of Zak Bagans and crew investigating haunted places throughout the world. It was a marathon, after all, and no matter how hard I tried I could NOT turn it off!

Several episodes later, I'd be lying if I told you it was easy to go to sleep.

Fast forward to NOW I've been lucky enough to catch these episodes:

Bonnie Springs Ranch (Old West ranch)
Fort Chaffee (haunted fort)
Jerome Grand Hotel (most haunted structure in "Ghost City")
Linda Vista Hospital (East LA hospital haunted by gang violence)
Moundsville Penitentiary
Old Fort Erie (War of 1812)
Prospect Place (stop on the underground railroad)
Sacramento Tunnels
Villisca Axe Murder House (house where 8 people were murdered)
Yorktown Memorial Hospital (abandoned hospital in Texas)
Waverly Hills (sanatorium)
Old Idaho Penitentiary
Hales Bar Marina

At least that's all I *think* I've seen...the show seems very similar to one that aired on MTV ten years ago: FEAR where (according to Wikipedia):

"The program follows a group of 5 or more contestants being left at an allegedly haunted location and led them on a series of dares over two nights to explore and confirm whether or not the place is haunted."

It was extremely creepy to watch and although it only ran for sixteen episodes, I learned it was cancelled because it was extremely expensive to produce.

The major "creepy" factor for FEAR was all the "dares" contestants had to perform like staying in a prison cell (alone) for more than 12 hours without lights under complete radio silence. Um, no. Just thinking about it makes my skin crawl.

In GHOST ADVENTURES the crew uses known history and often tries to provoke similar situations into happening. Without an outside camera crew, they are responsible for all of the the electronic equipment, etc.

Am I skeptical? No. Could I do something similar? Yes BUT nothing "Fear" style.

~~J

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin