Friday, February 25, 2011

Wipe Out.

You know you're a graduate student when...

something as "trivial" as toilet paper becomes, well, an ordeal.

I spent way too long earlier this week in the paper products aisle, trying to justify a switch in brands:

Charmin?
Cottonelle?
Scott?

White Cloud or Angel Soft?

Forget the 2-ply debate altogether, now there's Ultra Strong vs. Ultra Soft vs. Ripples vs. Quilted vs. A Touch of Aloe...vs. RECYCLED?

I've been buying a "generic" or house brand equivalent to a popular brand, but when I noticed a brand name tissue that was cheaper, my brain nearly exploded. What's a girl to do?

I went back and forth, literally--pushing my cart up and down the same aisle.

Of course, toilet paper isn't exactly a trivial purchase. I mean, it comes in close contact with our most private areas...AND people have even studied HOW people put the roll on the holder (are you an over or under orientation type?)...the following is taken from wiki:

+Over reduces the risk of accidentally brushing the wall or cabinet with one's knuckles, potentially transferring grime and germs.

+Over makes it easier to visually locate and to grasp the loose end.

+Over is generally the intended direction of viewing for the manufacturer's branding, so patterned toilet paper looks better this way.

+Under provides a tidier appearance, in that the loose end can be more hidden from view.

+Under reduces the risk that a toddler or a house pet, such as a dog or cat, will completely unroll the toilet paper when batting at the roll.

+Under in an RV may reduce unrolling during driving.

I think the last reason is my favorite...but seriously, THAT hasn't been an issue until recently when a friend of my changed the roll for me (how nice) and put it THE WRONG WAY! I haven't changed it, I'm trying to keep an open mind.

I'll let you know how the new bathroom tissue fairs at a later date (or maybe you'll just want to ask me about that)...either way, I'm stuck with it for at least four rolls.

~~J

3 comments:

Sage Ravenwood said...

I have a very narrow bathroom. There is nowhere to hang a toilet roll without banging into it. So my solution was to take an upright paper towel holder, slide the roll down on that behind that, and leave it on the back of the toilet.

Works great you can get 2 rolls on there at a time and I don't have to worry which direction the roll goes. (Hugs)Indigo

janet said...

That's a very smart idea!

~~J

Emily said...

Obviously I'm used to living in an RV.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin