Monday, October 19, 2009

Top 100 Books (1):

Lev Grossman & Richard Lacayo (critics for TIME magazine) picked the "100 best English-language novels since 1923" some time ago ... I was directed to their list recently.

I wanted to see HOW many I had read. (laughable)
So then I decided to see HOW many I knew. (much better)

Then I wanted to challenge myself--ya know, I gotta print out the list and head to the library (when I have time to do so)...

I wanted to share their list, but it is 100 books! I am going to break it into sections to share instead--much easier this way--

(And in case you're wondering, NO it is not ranked--or at least I can't FIND an actual ranking, which is really a more democratic way of doing it.)

A - B
The Adventures of Augie March Saul Bellow
**All the King's Men Robert Penn Warren
American Pastoral Philip Roth
An American Tragedy Theodore Dreiser
**Animal Farm George Orwell
Appointment in Samarra John O'Hara (talked about it in class this semester)
**Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret Judy Blume
The Assistant Bernard Malamud
At Swim-Two-Birds Flann O'Brien
**Atonement Ian McEwan (I actually have two copies!)

**Beloved Toni Morrison
The Berlin Stories Christopher Isherwood
The Big Sleep Raymond Chandler
The Blind Assassin Margaret Atwood
Blood Meridian Cormac McCarthy (talked about it in class last semester)
Brideshead Revisited Evelyn Waugh (I saw the movie!)
The Bridge of San Luis Rey Thornton Wilder

**means I have read it!

I will need to come up with my own one day...or at least my top ten--officially.

When people find out you are a "writer" they automatically ask you WHO is your favorite author or WHAT is your favorite book--I am often left saying "um, um, um."

~~J

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin