Saturday, May 12, 2012

Blast from the Past

the first page


While wandering around the Spring Book Sale (central library) I came across a book that made me squeal. To be fair, a lot of books make me squeal. Books in general make me squeal. I’m almost as excitable as “WEEEEEEEEEEEE! Pig” of Geico commercial fame when it comes to....

I don't need to finish this sentence, do I?

Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary was originally published in 1983. It won the Newbery Medal in 1984. I'm old(er) and wise(r) than I was when I first read it, I can also tell you that it is an epistolary narrative (fancy).

Leigh Botts (a boy) begins writing his favorite author (Mr. Henshaw) in second grade. I can point out at least four reasons WHY I loved this book from the very first entry (letter):
  • a "typo" or licked instead of liked
  • a "misspelling" or freind instead of friend
  • and Leigh (my middle name)
  • a book about a dog? I mean HELLO!
By the end of the book Leigh is writing in a journal (as suggested by his author friend).

Adult Janet (yes! a third person reference) has had the opportunity to befriend a few author friends of her own (prior to finishing her BA or starting her MFA):

Laura Zigman (circa 2007) and Gwendolen Gross (circa 2008)

After that I was being instructed by writers and such. It's really a small world and we're all connected (yeah, I know--everyone says that, but it's true). I'm one degree of separation away from so many authors, SO MANY AUTHORS!

Now I have my very own USED (hardcover library book) copy of this book. It's the circle of (writing) life!

~~J

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin